By Gary Burns
- Includes over dozen essays protecting the spectrum of pop culture stories from nutrients to folklore and from television to technology
- Features contributions from verified and up-and-coming students from more than a few disciplines
- Offers an in depth historical past of the examine of well known culture
- Balances new views at the politics of tradition with in-depth research of issues on the vanguard of pop culture studies
Read or Download A Companion to Popular Culture (Blackwell Companions in Cultural Studies) PDF
Best popular culture books
There are over 1,000 McDonald's on French soil. Disney subject matter parks have opened close to Paris within the final twenty years. And American-inspired vocabulary comparable to "le weekend" has been absorbed into the French language. yet as former French president Jacques Chirac positioned it: "The U. S. reveals France unbearably pretentious.
Past Black is Ellis Cashmore's compelling appraisal of the effect of black celebrities at the cultural panorama of latest the US. in recent times a brand new number of African American superstar has emerged: acquisitive, formidable, flamboyantly winning and individualistic - extra attracted to channelling their power into profession improvement than into the political struggles that lively a few of their predecessors.
This anthology introduces the most influential literature shaping our realizing of the social and cultural foundations of schooling at the present time. jointly the decisions supply scholars a number of methods for studying and designing academic stories precious of the multicultural societies of our current and destiny.
Race and Hegemonic fight within the usa: popular culture, Politics, and Protest is a suite of essays that pulls on techniques constructed through Antonio Gramsci to check the imagining of race in pop culture productions, political discourses, and resistance rhetoric. The chapters during this quantity demand renewed cognizance to Gramscian political suggestion to envision, comprehend, interpret and clarify the power contradictions, ambivalence, and paradoxes in racial representations and fabric realities.
- Havana My Kind of Town
- Culture, Class, and Critical Theory: Between Bourdieu and the Frankfurt School (Routledge Studies in Social and Political Thought)
- Weird and Wonderful: The Dime Museum in America
- Gifts of Clothing in Late Antique Literature
- Advertising as Culture
Additional info for A Companion to Popular Culture (Blackwell Companions in Cultural Studies)